Monday, June 21

Living Life with Regard to Abe, Dolly and Pa...

"You have to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was." -Abraham Lincoln

Abe's always been my favorite president; maybe because I'm a bit of a history nerd and the Civil War Era pretty much consumes my interest. Not that I'm all that obsessed with the North vs. South issues. I just love the time period. Life of those long ago days appears simple, rustic and drenched in hard work, peppered with intense pride in family values and devout belief in 48,000 different causes - take your pick! Best of all, the country was on the brink of abundant development, and if you consider the rush of expansion, technology, population growth, etc. that has followed, the Civil War was ironically a "calm before the storm." Of course, Abe had that tall, lanky appeal to him as well. Sigh...

Sometimes I wonder if we ever really know whether we're living in the "calm" or in the "storm." Obviously, a bad day feels storm-like for a bit, but a few years down the road will what happens today really be a big deal? Who knows? Well, He knows. But YOU know what I mean... right?

If I had to guess, I'd say these days I'm living in the calm. Thank goodness, because anyone that knows me well is very aware of my irrational terror when it comes to storms. My life's weather forecast, for a setting somewhere in fog covered mountains carved out by crystal clear streams and blanketed by a purple star filled sky -hmmm... no wonder I'm also a HUGE Dolly Parton fan- would grant me mostly days of sunshine, a cloud or two here and there, and of course, the occassional rain shower. But as the song goes, "along with the sunshine, there's gotta be a little rain sometimes."

Life's latest gust of wind has dropped me in Louisville, KY for the summer, where I'm happily employed by the Kentucky State Fair Board. Working specifically with the Young Adult Project (YAP) I get to spend my days emmersed in social media -living it up on Facebook, Twitter and MySpace- in effort to help Kentucky's young adults make KSF 2010 their absolute favorite yet! I'm so pumped about the ALL NEW Battle of the Bands, the Ultimate Photo Booth, YOUth Vote Day, Friday Night Dance parties and a million other fantastic projects we've got going that are going to absolutely ROCK YOUR SOCKS! We announce new contests and events constantly on Facebook, so definitely check it out! Best of all, I've already met so many fantastic people (both at work and YAP participants statewide!) I can't wait to hang out with everyone during State Fair (if they'll let me out of my office, that is!)

Alas, I'll be hard pressed to ever follow Abe's advice and eventually outgrow my grandpa (who I legitimately think is the coolest guy in the world, but hey, I might be a tad partial.) But I'm certainly working on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment